21 November, Thursday 02:04

The History

The History

January 1, 1918 the Japanese cruiser "Iwami" with troops on board entered in the port of Vladivostok without the permission of Soviet authorities in night. Soon the second cruiser "Asahi" and then English "Suffolk" came here. March 1, 1918 the American cruiser "Brooklyn" came to anchor in the Golden Horn Bay. At a protest of Vladivostok board in unauthorized incursions into Russian port, commanders of the military ships stated that their incursion had to been understood as a courtesy visit. However, a month later, after a night attack of unidentified persons on the Japanese private company "Isis" and the murder of its two employees, the foreign military troops was landed on the bank. The official invasion pretext was the defense of interests of foreign nationals living in Vladivostok. Thus the military intervention began...
 
To present days on the berth of Vladivostok Marine passenger terminal the bollards that remembers anchor ropes of the cruisers have been preserved. the Gulf coast, called the Golden Horn in memory of another war became the silent witnesses of violent and self-sacrificing struggle for the very edge of the Russian land...
 
During the First World War, being the only major port, that was outside the blockade of the Austria-German coalition, Vladivostok was a major point, through which Russia was received the weapons, equipment and food from the allies.
 
When bombing rumblings of World War II sounded far to the west but Vladivostok sent ships and trains with people, food, oil, clothing, special purpose cargo from allied USA. It was 10 million tones of general cargo passing through the berths of the Maritime Trade Port and Marine passenger terminal during the war.
 
But the history of the marine passenger terminal is not the history of wars. This is the story of daily hard work of sailors, fishermen, navigation, longshoremen. It is the history of meetings and partings, long-distance journeys, new hopes and expectations. It is mist, the smell of the sea and the noise of the port city...
 
Marine passenger terminal of Vladivostok Commercial Seaport have gone a long way, starting with a modest recreation room for the passengers on one of the first stone pier of Vladivostok. The pier was the first site of Russian ships, the first buildings were designed to receive, send and customs clearance of commercial traffic.. The pier was called "Commercial pair of Golden Horn Bay" (from 1909 it became known as the harbor of Commerce).
 
The warehouses were located in the basement of the building, and on the upper floors there were port offices and the offices of trading companies. This was the first building of the Marine passenger terminal, which lived until 1959.
 
M.Haskell's photo, November, 1919. It is Nizhneportovaya st.. in Gaido's mutiny (there is a building of the old sea station on the right)
 
Reconstruction of the commercial seaport presented to the city a new passenger area on the shore of Golden Horn Bay, with a comfortable marine station, the best in the USSR at that time.
 
The new building of the marine station was built on the basis of the old one. In particular, the foundation and the old warehouses were used for the construction of the first basement of the new station.
 
However, in 1959 the project included the most advanced technology of that time. Stained glass facade of the station, facing the sea, with the high of10 meters and 100 meters long, light pillars supporting the canopy over the glass stained-glass window, made a grand pathos in the functional straight-line simplicity of Soviet Constructivism architecture.
 
The location of premises in the building was designed so that most of them were not only filled with sunshine, but from them you could have a panoramic view on the Golden Horn. The outline of the building of the Marine passenger terminal resembled the ocean liner silhouette directed to the sea.
 
By the end of 1965. the viaduct came into operation, which connected the sea and railway stations, roads and crossings in the port area. Soon the vision area of the Seaport became a favorite place for citizens , where you could admire the panorama of the Golden Horn Bay. The new deep water (up to 11 m) berths № 1 and № 2 were developing here.
 
Some changes in building appearance occurred in 1991. When the building was renovated by Italian company "Tegola Canadese." It was then the Marine passenger terminal acquired its modern form, including an unusual fountain in the form of a glowing water ball as a souvenir of the Solar Italy.
 
In 1995 the coastal passenger traffic was finally stopped. In connection with the termination of state subsidies the most part of passenger ships, carrying people and goods in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Magadan, Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk and other ports of the Far East, was refocused on commercial voyages to Japan. Automobile business was developed.
 
Today, in a greater degree the Marine passenger terminal is administrative and trade center, while keeping its historically established name.
 
Twice a week a zone of international voyages is working in the active mode, meeting and seeing off passengers of ferry line «Eastern Dream». Several times in a year the huge cruise ships moor to berths.

The vision area of Seaport is still a place where at any time the magnificent view of the Golden Horn :is spread before the eyes: the cable-stayed bridge is being constructed, the tugs and ferries are busily scurrying, the Pacific squadron cruisers are slowly maneuvering. It's so easy to breathe by salty wind, and so familiar and happily ship's bell echoes with the gull voices. 

Russia, Vladivostok, Nizhneportovaya st. 1, post box 90-47
Phone: +7 (423) 249-79-43; fax: +7 (423) 249-73-58
© 2012 Marine Passenger Terminal
Developed by — Studio «Interactive»
E-mail: